What is Prevent?
Prevent is part of the national counter-terrorism strategy and aims to stop people being drawn into or supporting terrorism.
The Prevent strand of the strategy focuses on three key areas which are:
- To respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat from those who promote it
- To prevent people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure that they are given appropriate advice and support
- To work with sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation that we need to address
Children and young people can be drawn into violence or they can be exposed to the messages of extremist groups by many means. These can include through the influence of family members or friends and/or direct contact with extremist groups and organisations or, increasingly, through the internet. This can put a young person at risk of being drawn into criminal activity and has the potential to cause significant harm.
The risk of radicalisation is the product of a number of factors and identifying this risk requires that staff exercise their professional judgement, seeking further advice as necessary. It may be combined with other vulnerabilities or may be the only risk identified.
Potential indicators include:
- Use of inappropriate language
- Possession of violent extremist literature
- Behavioural changes
- The expression of extremist views
- Advocating violent actions and means
- Association with known extremists
- Seeking to recruit others to an extremist ideology
Any member of staff who identifies such concerns, for example as a result of observed behaviour or reports of conversations to suggest the child supports terrorism and/or violent extremism, must report these concerns to the named or designated safeguarding professional in their organisation or agency, who will consider what further action is required. Please see further details on the Prevent Channel Process here.
Concerns of radicalisation and/or extremism, should be reported to the Portsmouth MASH on 0845 671 0271 or e-mail MASH@secure.portsmouthcc.gov.uk or Hampshire Constabulary on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.
For further information on Prevent including training options, guidance and resources, please visit the Safer Portsmouth Partnership website
For details on Counter-Extremism please click on the link below: