Safeguarding Training Information for Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSLs) in Schools
The designated safeguarding lead (and any deputies) should undergo training to provide them with the knowledge and skills required to carry out the role. This training should be updated at least every two years. The designated safeguarding lead should also undertake Prevent awareness training (KCSiE2020).
In addition to the formal training, DSLs knowledge and skills should be refreshed (this might be via e-bulletins, meeting other designated safeguarding leads, or simply taking time to read and digest safeguarding developments) at regular intervals, as required, and at least annually, to allow them to understand and keep up with any developments relevant to their role. (KCSiE2020)
Click here for further information and to access the DSL training record template.
PSCP training opportunities for DSLs and their deputies:
The DSL role has two elements:
- Child Level safeguarding – identifying needs and making decisions for children’s welfare and safety. Knowing Portsmouth practices and processes, including effective knowledge of the Portsmouth Thresholds is essential for making child level decisions.
- Safeguarding Leadership – driving safeguarding practice and embedding a safeguarding culture in your school. For those new to the DSL or deputy role it is advisable to undertake training which supports the ability to understand and act accordingly to child level safeguarding concerns, PSCP offer 2 training courses to support this:
- Early Help full day training
- Child Protection full day training
To book please visit the PSCP training website
Once these courses are completed, PSCP offers a range of Masterclasses for DSLs and their deputies to embed further good and effective safeguarding knowledge and skills. The Masterclasses cover a range of topics to support DSLs & DDSLs to drive safeguarding practice and embed a safeguarding culture in school.
For those DSLs who need to ‘refresh’ safeguarding training please select a range of Masterclasses according to your own identified strengths and development areas.
ALL MASTERLASSES FOR DSLs & MANAGERS ARE FREE OF CHARGE FROM MAY 2021 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
To access recorded DSL Masterclasses please click here
Once you have completed these masterclasses you can download the relevant certificate from the list below:
- Certificate – Safeguarding Decision Making
- Certificate – Escalation & Re-think Masterclass
- Certificate – Developing a Safeguarding Culture
- Certificate – Contacting MASH
To book live DSL Masterclasses and other safegaurding training please visit the PSCP training website. You can enquire about Inset and/or bespoke safeguarding training for your school there too.