Toggle Contrast

Worried about a child

You should seek, in general, to discuss concerns with the family and, where possible seek the family’s agreement to making a referral unless this may, either by delay or the behavioural response it prompts or for any other reason, place the child at increased risk of significant harm.

A decision by any professional not to seek parental permission before making a referral to MASH must be approved by their manager, recorded and the reasons given

Where a parent has agreed to a referral, this must be recorded and confirmed on the relevant referral form

Where the parent is consulted and refuses to give permission for the referral, further advice and approval should be sought from a manager or the Designated Senior Person or Named Professional, unless to do so would cause undue delay. The outcome of the consultation and any further advice should be fully recorded

All recording with regards to consent to share information should be included in the inter-agency contact form and kept on individual organisation’s record systems.

If you have a concern about a member of staff working with children (in either a paid or voluntary capacity) please contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) on 023 9288 2500 or email

If your concerns is about a vulnerable adults, please refer to the guidance on the Safeguarding Adults Board website on how to report your concerns.